Community

olive on April 23rd, 2008

As taxpayers, we and several other families in our area have been proud to let friends and relatives know what a lovely community we have in Aurora.However, to dwellers in the Lakes of Aurora and especially those who use Cochran Road, it has become an embarrassment to have visitors see the mass of rubbish and […]

Continue reading about Residents seeking Cochran Rd. fixup

olive on March 31st, 2008

Do you have favorite family recipes that you cherish? Is there a special dish, bread, or dessert that your Grandmother or Mother always made for certain holiday celebrations? Is there a story behind some of the family celebrations that you pass along from generation to generation? If so, you are not alone. Families share favorite […]

Continue reading about Create a Family Cookbook

olive on March 14th, 2008

It looks as though Geauga Lake will be auctioned of in its entirety June 17th and 18th. Here’s your chance to get a ride for your backyard. My kids want the Space Needle (think zoning would allow it?)!  The end for the once grand park. http://nortonauctioneers.com/upcoming.htm

Continue reading about Going, Going, Gone!

olive on March 5th, 2008

Olive readers might have noticed that there weren’t any new postings or comments the past 4-5 days. The site has had problems with a variety of issues from content to spam to glitches or hacks. But the primary reason for no new posts was nobody was changing anyones minds with their rhetoric. So, in fairness, […]

Continue reading about Aurora School Levy Aftermath

olive on February 29th, 2008

The IB program had become controversial in the Aurora schools due to recent financial pressures. The Cleveland Plain Dealer has written a story about IB in Northern Ohio. It seems that Aurora is ahead of the trend. Other schools are looking at the IB progams as part of their cirriculum.  Read about it here

Continue reading about Plain Dealer Looks at IB Programs

olive on February 27th, 2008

You might not know his name but, Dan Melcher had an enormous effect on the City of Aurora.  He was a long-time member and past president of Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland and a member and Vice Chairman of the Planning Commission. He was an environmental advocate. A great deal of the present Aurora zoning […]

Continue reading about Dan Melcher

olive on February 14th, 2008

Look for water rates to be going up, 35% over the next 5 years. Connection fees charged to new construction is down, that the real need for this increase. Finance Director Bob Paul says, sewer connection fees from developers have kept the sewer fund solvent. “We charge a significant amount for sewer connections, but when […]

Continue reading about Water Rate Hike Coming?

olive on February 6th, 2008

Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama both want the democratic votes in Aurora Ohio. Got a preference? Is Barak spelled right?

Continue reading about Aurora and Hillary and Barak

olive on February 2nd, 2008

If you know of a great sale somewhere in or near Aurora post it for your neighbors here. Maybe Marcs has a super price on something or a pizza place has a give away.  Help out by posting here.

Continue reading about Hot Saving Spots Around Aurora

olive on February 1st, 2008

If you support the levy, tie on a green ribbon to your mailbox, or tree, or minivan or dog. Then sweetly ask your neighbor “where’s yours?” don’t you support the levy… Show your support.

Continue reading about Tie one on for the Kids!

olive on January 29th, 2008

The students of Harmon Middle School are hosting a special American Red Cross school blood drive and they need your participation!  Friday, February 29th, 2008 from 3-8 p.m. in the middle school commons

Continue reading about Harmon School Blood Drive

olive on January 27th, 2008

The former Ray Harmon farmhouse on Bartlett Rd., owned by the city of Aurora was broken into sometime after January 11. (I guess that’s the last time the property was checked.) The back door was pried open, and an ornate antique light fixture was stolen. The house and property was recently designated with Landmark status […]

Continue reading about City Property Burglarized

olive on January 25th, 2008

I’ve heard that living in Aurora is like living in a bubble. I think that means that we are isolated or insulated from the some of the world. It that true? What are some of the good things about living in Aurora?  Is it the low taxes? The greenspace? The lack of traffic congestion? The […]

Continue reading about The Aurora Bubble

olive on January 17th, 2008

Does anyone have a topic? The schools seem to be garnering the most attention these days. Any comment about the new Aurora Master Plan? What about a new community center? How will the Geauga Lake development affect Aurora, (43 will be widened) why? is somebody expecting a lot of traffic from a new development? Has […]

Continue reading about Let’s Get Some New Topics

olive on January 14th, 2008

Hmmm. The day the clock tower project is canceled the school announces a $30,000 anonymous donation. Maybe there is no connection, but if there is, the money is being put to good use, i hope. Better late than never. Thanks anonymous donor! From the schools website:

Continue reading about Money Talks, Kids Don’t Walk

olive on January 10th, 2008

The City of Aurora is looking for your opinion!  What do you want? What don’t you like? Here’s a chance for you bloggers to tell somebody what you think. Complete this online survey. The survey can be found here.

Continue reading about Parks and Rec. Survey

olive on January 7th, 2008

Winter Hike & Hot Cocoa Saturday, January 12 @ 9:30 am to 11 am – Family snow creature – building contest! Saturday, February 23 @ 11 am Endangered Birds Festival – Presented by Local Girl Scout Deanna Wolford Saturday, February 2nd – sessions to repeat @ 10:30 am, 12 noon and 1:30 pm

Continue reading about Moebius Winter Programs

olive on January 3rd, 2008

Another local business closes in Aurora. I think that store has been in Aurora for over 20 years? It was previously in the other shopping plaza. Too bad.

Continue reading about Mary’s Hallmark Closing

olive on December 7th, 2007

I wrote a post a year ago, here it is again for your consideration

Continue reading about We Believed

olive on December 7th, 2007

Everyone has opinions about something and everything. Often we share those opinions with friends, family coworkers and authority figures. On those occasions, the person is usually known, the receiver of the opinion can always “consider the source”. and begin their own validation or moderation process. In the vastness of the internet, the opinions are limitless.

Continue reading about What’s the role of a Local Blog?

olive on December 3rd, 2007

While channel switching I was City Council discussion about kids loitering and hanging out in the movie theatre lot. I have noticed they are there, between Starbucks and the movie theatre. I seem to remember when the theatre was going to be built, it was a good thing, “now kids will have a place to […]

Continue reading about Kids in the Parking Lot

olive on November 30th, 2007

If you don’t know what that means ask your kids! Anyway the East Garfield / Rt 82 bridge is open. yahoo! hammer down!

Continue reading about We’re on a bridge Charlie!

olive on November 30th, 2007

While attempting to flee, the suspect in a rape case, drew a gun, Aurora Police Chief Seth Reiwald struggled with him and several shots were fired. The Chief pulled his weapon and fired, wounding the suspect in the face. The alledged rape had occurred in Aurora, and the Chief was in Solon to serve a […]

Continue reading about Police Chief Forced to Shoot Suspect

olive on November 27th, 2007

Despite terrible weather, the Aurora Turkey Trot was a success. Here’s one runner’s description.

Continue reading about Thanksgiving Running Madness

olive on September 13th, 2007

Here is more on changes at Geauga Lake. There are many rumours floating around on the roller coaster/amusement park sites including: Why no mention of 2008 passes anywhere? Others are the removal of the coasters; the ferris wheel; the texas twister, the space needle. I’ve also heard one about building a indoor waterpark/hotel on the […]

Continue reading about Geauga Lake Rumours and Changes