Community

olive on August 17th, 2007

I found this great essay here, on Gene’s blog, hope we can hear more about “old” Aurora from you Gene. You look you-know-who in that red shirt! Growing Up on Conquered Lands The August heat this year has reminded me of hot summer days in one of the fields on our farm in Aurora, Ohio […]

Continue reading about Thoughts on Old Aurora

olive on July 15th, 2007

Just over the Aurora city line in Mantua isd the best blueberry patch in Northern Ohio. Pick your own blueberries. They are hanging like bunches of grapes right now. Take Rt 82 east past Yogi Bear Park and turn left on Frost Rd and right on Winchell Rd. Just follow the signs. Tell’m olive sent […]

Continue reading about Blueberries!

olive on June 4th, 2007

So how did it go this year?  At least it only rained the last hour! Gve us an update and send some pics too How much money was raised?

Continue reading about Relay for Life 07?

olive on May 21st, 2007

Every monday OliveAurora will be featuring a local link, where you will discover something new about Aurora. First in line is a guy who has balls and can handle them  better that anybody else in town!  Find him here. Tell him olive sent you

Continue reading about Local Link’o da Week

olive on May 15th, 2007

Upscale, upset. Heinen’s new look has me aggravated every time i go there now. I can’t find anything. And what i can find, I’m not interesed in. Stuff like organic window cleaner, coffee i have to roast myself, what’s next pick your own beans from bushes in the parking lot? Sushi bar! Cheeze island. Bright […]

Continue reading about The New Heinen’s, Love it or Hate it?

olive on April 10th, 2007

Partsscource a multi manufacturer medical parts supplier will be moving to the former TRW/Lucas building in Aurora. The building is 113,00 sq ft and they will be using about half of it. Looks like the busuness development team in Aurora landed a growing fish! They were courted by several other cities out of state and […]

Continue reading about Business moves to Aurora

olive on March 13th, 2007

EARTHQUAKE!!! Run for your lives! Oh wait a minute, sorry. Where were you when it hit. Official info here

Continue reading about Mantua earthquake, where were you?

olive on March 7th, 2007

Class work is out of this world from The Cleveland Plain Dealer Many come searching for answers, or validation of their beliefs. Various polls show that roughly half of Americans believe in ghosts. “We’re not flakes,”

Continue reading about Ghosts or Nutcases ?

olive on March 5th, 2007

Across the county line– across the city line– in Reminderville, there will be soon be an additional 300 homes built in the Aurora School District. This project is well into the planning stages with land clearing to begin soon. Reminderville Mayor Sam Alonzo said, “It has all approvals except for its final permit from Army […]

Continue reading about 300 New Homes proposed for Aurora Schools

olive on March 1st, 2007

Corn hole games? Magic? Fried chicken? Paint? More cabana$? Three rides are gone. This is sad, xcuse me if i snooze… From their Press Release– AURORA, Ohio, 2007 – Get ready for plenty of fun this summer on the shores of Geauga Lake. With more than 40 rides and attractions, including eight roller coasters and […]

Continue reading about What’s New at Geauga Lake for 2007? Not much…

olive on February 28th, 2007

Here’s one of the popular Aurora urban myths. I’ve heard it from a number of sources, neighbors and an elected office holder. It is said that 10% of the townhouses at Barrington are set aside for Section 8 low income housing. The Section 8 Rental Voucher Program increases affordable housing choices for very low-income households […]

Continue reading about Low income section 8 housing at Barrington?

olive on February 23rd, 2007

The Aurora Historical Society is excited to announce that it has two of its exhibits of World War II:  Hard Work and Great Sacrifice on display at local businesses.  WWII posters and timeline can be seen at the Aurora Farms Outlet.  This will be up until the end of March or April.  The second exhibit […]

Continue reading about Historical Society Exhibits

olive on February 17th, 2007

The original Our Lady of Perpetual Help church building seems headed for demolition. Seems that maintenance costs are too high for the catholic church. The building was moved here from Solon in the ’50s where it was also St. Rita’s church. Is nothing sacred? The Aurora Co-op Nursery School currently leases and the building,they are […]

Continue reading about Our Lady to tear down Oliver Hall?

olive on February 16th, 2007

At the most recent Landmarks Commission meeting here in Aurora, Mayor McGill presented plans for the beautification in the Historic District. His plan would build a clock tower at the intersection of routes 43 and 306. This location is west of the Bicentennial Gazebo and north of City Hall on a overgrown parcel of city […]

Continue reading about Historic District Improvement Presented

olive on February 9th, 2007

Mourning the loss of the local hardware store by UffaDave I opened the latest issue of the Aurora Advocate and was saddened to see the closing of another American institution – the local hardware store. Gerry Burger and his brother Greg announced that they would be closing the Aurora Burger’s hardware store at the end

Continue reading about Another Closing on Mainstreet America

olive on February 8th, 2007

Friday March 16 at the Moebius Nature Center Get the kids out of the house and outdoors on this school holiday! The first camp is February 20 and the second is March 16, both are no-school days. Using the nationally-acclaimed Project Learning Tree curriculum and the wonderful property at the Moebius Nature Center, students will […]

Continue reading about School’s Out Nature Camp

olive on February 6th, 2007

The cold temperatures broke a pipe in the men’s bathroom at the Aurora Memorial Library. The pipe began leaking on Monday February 5th evening and the water damage was confined to the front foyer. The building was closed Tuesday, and is expected to re-open on Wednesday.

Continue reading about Library Busts a Pipe

olive on January 24th, 2007

Funny, i guess it’s not what it sounds like. Seems that they all enjoyed it, read it here

Continue reading about Cornhole anyone?

The Aurora School of Wrestling is offering a winter session Feb. 8 to March 29 on Thursdays from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. in the high school wrestling room.

Continue reading about Wrestling Anyone?

The Aurora Raptors girls fast pitch softball team will sponsor a reverse raffle Feb. 10 from 6 p.m. to midnight at Mantua Knights of Columbus Hall on Route 44, just north of oute 82. Grand prize is $1,000. Cost is $75 for couples, and singles are welcome, too. For information, call 330-995-3396 or e-mail bpolak-@timberskovar.com.

Continue reading about Softball Benefit!

This building and property is consider by many to be an eyesore read more here

Continue reading about Corner of E Garfield and New Hudson

olive on January 4th, 2007

I guess they will try to pick a date with good weather.  Read all about it here

Continue reading about Relay for Life planning

olive on December 29th, 2006

Was this really worthy of front page news in the Plain Dealer?  On December 26, these Barringtonites were featured on the front page. Money doesn’t buy happiness. Read the whole story here, inquiring minds want to know.

Continue reading about High Roller Divorce

olive on November 29th, 2006

As we stood in the stands after losing the game to Steubenville, my child remarked that the Big Red fans don’t even seem to care. It was true, more than half of their fans were gone by the end of the game and those remaining seemed rather indifferent. However on the Aurora side of the […]

Continue reading about We Believed, Now What?

olive on November 16th, 2006

The Aurora Historical Society and the Aurora Memorial Library hosted a World War II program Thursday afternoon, Nov. 9th in honor of military Veterans. The program began with an introduction, by historical society Director Dr. Marcelle Wilson, to the various activities that Americans did on the home front to contribute to the war effort.

Continue reading about News from the Aurora Historical Society