Here is more on changes at Geauga Lake. There are many rumours floating around on the roller coaster/amusement park sites including: Why no mention of 2008 passes anywhere? Others are the removal of the coasters; the ferris wheel; the texas twister, the space needle. I’ve also heard one about building a indoor waterpark/hotel on the wet side. The former Turtle Beach and old waterpark along Rt 43 are sure to come down this year also. In addition, a marketing director has relocated to Sandusky.

In case this coaster goes too, here is a video from the park.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNMH9Z8NMFc[/youtube]
On their last podcast, the hosts of Coasterdom talked about the rumors floating around about Geauga Lake.

They said, “The word on the street is that both Dominator and Thunderhawk are on their way out of the park. Now if these rumors stay true, Geauga Lake would of lost four coasters in the past two years. And other rumors are coming in that Raging Wolf Bobs may never open again. So that is a possible five rides in two years. Now while these are only rumors, past rumors of the same type about this park have proved to be true in the past.This has to be viewed as an end to the park as we know it. Without those coasters, there is not much left to the park. There are a number of flats, and five to six coasters left. They also have that nice waterpark thing going on right across the lake. Kevin and I talked about that the park might just become a waterpark only. I think that might be a bit far fetched. But I do have something a bit crazy in my head. What would happen if they closed off the current ride area, and moved the rides they deem worthy of keeping to the other side of the lake? And then sell the land where the current park is?

Geauga Lake Aurora
Look at the map, it might not be as crazy as you think. Most of the coasters could easily be moved. The hardest being the Villian and Big Dipper. The other rides and coasters shouldn’t be all that hard. The existing waterpark and rides area on the left side of the lake are plenty big enough to accommodate the rest of the park area. Imagine a park going from where the Bobs are now all the way down to the waterpark. Doesn’t seem out of the question does it?

This once “big” park could regain a lot of charm and be small and efficient. The parking lot is already there as well as a lot of infrastructure. Let’s see what the next few years holds for the park and we can see what direction Cedar Fair is going to take it in.” Check out MSN Live for some great satellite and 3D views of the park.

From the folks at Coasterdom

18 Comments on Geauga Lake Rumours and Changes

1. roy in ravenna says:

geeze,
    i hope it don’t close. me, my girlfriend and the kids were going there for our honeymoon next june.

I’d like to see them add a tattoo parlor or sell GL nose rings.

2. so sad says:

Well Roy, there’s always Jellystone.
    Best wishes!!

3. roy in ravenna says:

Hey that’s geetin’ personul

Jellystone, oar as we call it “Round-up Lake” is were my ex-girlfriend and my kids live!!

4. olive says:

Olive broke this story in Aurora early!

The apparent reason for the closure is this-
    The company that owns Kennywood Park in Pittsburg was going to buy Geauga Lake Park and expand the park. Cedar Faire who owns Cedar Point and Kings Island didn’t want the Kennywood group to get any of their customers from their market. They bought the Geauga Lake with the intent of closing it down to drive patrons to their other parks and eliminate competition!

Attendance was up this year at Geaga Lake even without any yearly improvements. The ride side of the park was so lousy this year that nobody will even care, short staffed, long lines, old rides.

In other news, Cedar Faire has inquired about a demolition permit from the city of Aurora to tear down two homes they own in the area.

Could it be the roumor about an indoor waterpark is going to come true?

And why is the city of Aurora continuing with the multi million dollar plan to widen Rt 43 now that the park is smaller. Can’t be the exsisting traffic.

Could it be that there will be a major development on the old GL site? A mall?, a Legacy Village-type development? Will anyone in Cleveland have any income to spend at one of these places?

5. so sad says:

Maybe they did us a favor. The prior owners weren’t concerned about safety. It was always rumored that Six Flags cut many corners regarding safety and I never trusted the ride operators to make sure the kiddies were buckled in their seats.

But if the Kennywood rumor is true it almost makes me not want to go to Cedar Point. I guess that’s business.

What can we do to keep more shopping from going there??? I think that’s the last thing we need. Look at the old Topps/Finast plaza in Solon… it’s a ghost town. How long before that happens here? We already have vacancies in our local shopping areas. How many years has the old CVS space been vacant?

6. auroraseve says:

GONE! GEAUGA LAKE IS FINALLY GONE! Actually is a shame, but it was a bigger shame that RTA was coming here, and bringing all those types of people who ride public transportation. There is no official plans for demolition, malls, indoor water parks or any Legacy Village type of places, no plans what so ever!

7. Lisa says:

Honestly can’t believe you’d feel comfortable enough in a public forum to type the phrase “those types of people who ride public transportation!!!!” It actually made me wince when I read that sentence. Some of those “types” might include people, due to various special needs, are unable to drive, people who are unable to afford a vehicle or insurance and chose to get around LEGALLY via public transportation, or perhaps even those thoughtful enough to save a little gasoline in an attempt to lesson the impact of pollution on our global environment!!!! I’d certainly welcome any of THOSE TYPES to my town!

8. CoasterGirl says:

I bet what Aurora Seve was trying to say is that nit wasn’t RTA… It was demographic. The people that came and worked at the park changed and just other socially acceptable practices that show how far society has fallen (piercings,gangs, tatoos, dunping your kids there for childcare) It was a family park in the Sea World days.
    Aurora residents had passes to both and frequented both. Companies had picnics there. Some of my fondest memories are the CWA picnics that Ohio Bell used to have there. Then six flags did the deed. There was a complete lack of security and kids running around unsupervised. The last thing I would do is send my kid to the waterpark..pedophile heaven! So scary when you realize who some of the people that go to these waterparks are.
    I feel bad for the people that had jobs there and will need to do something next summer. But for those workers that really didn’t care about the park because they where not from the area..I won’t miss that. I also won’t miss people running across the street like frogger to get to their cars or go to McD’s. It’s going to be a long time before I go to Cedar point. They ran it into the ground just like the Indians owner did in major league..and then blame the low attendance as the reason. Dick Kinzel is like Art Model :(

9. ITB says:

I wonder what would be today if the city administration took the deal 6 flags put out to pay for for a rec center if they were allowed to build bigger roller coasters.

The city would have a pool and all the amenities it comes with, gate recipts from both sides of the park and 6 flags would have big roller coasters.

Now we have the sale of artifacts and memories. Nice!

10. uffdacyd says:

Maybe instead of building the clock tower in the center of town, the city should try to get the old building with the clock from Geauga Lake and use that instead. That at least would be a part of Aurora’s heritage instead of what is currently being shown.

11. Lisa says:

I think you’ve got a great idea there uffdacyd!! You should write to the mayor or at least send that suggestion to the Advocate in the form of a letter to the editor. I think it’s perfect!
    To ITB- I never heard that 6 Flags had made that offer to the city. If it’s true, what a shame that the city declined to take 6 Flags up on the deal. Yes, things would be very different if they had.

12. Alex says:

Why not let Kennywood buy Geauga Lake?! They could make it better & safer & family friendly again!
    Also, I grew up going to Sea & World & got to go to Geauga Lake only once. Bring ’em back! PLEASE!

13. Alex says:

Why is Cedar Faire being so greedy?! The admission to Cedar Point is so expensive now that we can’t afford to go anymore. Closing the competition won’t help them any if the people can’t afford to go to their parks.
    I used to enjoy going to Cedar Point in high school (went with a school group). I also went to Geauga Lake once – the first amusement park I was ever to – & wished that I could have gone back.
    Let the people decide where they want to go for their summer vacations!

14. Brendan Taylor says:

This is all true the loss of this park is a hated decision in my mind I grew up here some of my best memories involved my mom, sister, and I sitting in the wave, riding Big Dipper, and Raging Wolf Bobs. The fact is that everyone should have seen it coming when the park was renamed to a six flags park and the managment became crappy then to add sea world these parks depended on each other more so geauga lake on seaworld then the dumbest thing of all instead of six flags streamlining operations they operated two maintnence facilities and two operations facility losing money. The logic of Cadar Fair was that the ride side became less popular vs. the water park, that was the only new attraction in years put in a new ride and then look at what could have happened tell people you were looking into closing the park before the season not after attendence would have gone up! Cedar Fair would never sell a park that is in the location to compete with Cedar Point rather it had the ability or not. The city did very little to help or stop the closing eather they never changed hight restrictions on the park forcing smaller coasters the city and all consumers are at fault as much as cedar fair, six flags, and even sea world in leaving. At this point there is nothing left to do but remember and make sure it doesnt happen to another park!!!

15. Annonymous says:

I simply cannot wait until they invent time machines (and they will) so that way I can go to there. It should not have closed and i will never go to a cedar fair park EVER!

16. Lindsey says:

its so sad what they have done to geauga lake. i got a season pass every year and my best friend and i had soo much fun. i will not drive two hours to sandusky to go to cedar point where i will have to pay around $50 to get it. no way no how!

17. william says:

Kennywood would make a great park there if they owned it. How do i know this because i used to work at kennywood park and they are all about safety. I think that Kennywood would make geauga lake a family friendly park. Possibly put some updates in it. And it would get more attendance. But now that Cedar fair wreaked history there is nothing we can do about it. besides boycott cedar fair parks. Also kennywood is all about history They call themselves AMERICAS FINEST TRADITIONAL AMUSEMENT PARK so they would know more about history than cedar fair. Any coments to this can be emailed to me at wolfman20012[at]excite[dot]com. I would like to hear from you

18. Bman says:

Its now 2010 and Geauga Lakes is now shut down you mean cedar Fair!!!!!!!!! we want six flags worlds Of Adventure not you!!!!!!!!!you shut down a wealthy park!!!!! you lied when you said Geauga lake its back and its going to be fun but how is it going to be fun when theres no rides but the boring water park how is that fun? You cant awnser now can you Cedar Fair because you know its not fun!!!!!!!!!!!! you should be ashamed cedar Fair Six Flags should buy a park you own and shut it down you would deserve every bit of it Cedar Fair!!!!!!!!!!